The LSCC is on the River Lee downstream of Stanstead Lock, which is one of the very few locks in the country with a swing bridge over the lock chamber.(another can be found on the Kennet & Avon canal). Water fills this lock very fast as the sluices are in both top gates.
The Club was founded in 1956 on an old boat moored approximately where the Stanstead Lee Valley Marina is now. The wooden hull in poor condition meant it did not stay afloat for long, and soon sank. (but all crew were saved!!) The present site adjacent to Stanstead Lock was found. Much hard work by those early members included digging out moorings.
In 1963 a clubhouse was built, which with with added improvements, still stands today. An extension was added in 1997.
From the beginning the LSCC has always been an all age family club.